FSYSD, new FORAN diagrams module28/11/2012
SENER Ingeniería y Sistemas, S.A. has developed a new application from the FORAN System for the complete management of the functional diagrams of the systems onboard. The new module, named FSYSD (Foran SYStem Diagrams) will be incorporated to the commercial release V70R2.0.
FSYSD will replace the current SYVIEW (2D symbols), PIGRAM (pipe & instrumentation diagrams) and EPOWER (single wire electric diagrams), gathering the three of them within the same application, although each task will have its own working environment. This comes in line with the clear tendency from FORAN to reduce the number of applications (from three to one) and eliminate the obsolete interface modules, still relying on the use of Exceed (to emulate Windows session for X applications).
The new module has some significant advantages:
- Has a modern and intuitive graphic interface, something essential in the 2D drafting modules. There are enough commands at the fingertips, both in the blind menus and in the pop-up menus, opened from every entity.
- Allows performing an intelligent management of the symbols, organizing them in an unlimited number of library levels, and including commands for the copy, edition, export and import of the symbols.
- Includes the possibility to assign SQL instructions to specific symbols, to convert them into drawing boxes and material lists. The execution of the SQL sentences will return real values from the diagram, i.e. the number of some particular fitting already in the diagram, given its class, diameter and material.
- Both diagram types include the possibility to edit their logical entities in a tabular mode, through a specific window. This is particularly helpful to apply changes in the attributes to a large number of entities, avoiding the need to search for them visually within the diagram.
- It has been enhanced significantly the link between the diagrams and the 3D model.
- The standards management modules for outfitting (FDEFIN) and electrical (FCABLE) will show the symbols on the screen at the time they are assigned to the existing classes, for a visual association with the logical concepts that will represent (equipment and fitting classes).
- It will be possible to establish logical links between different sheets from the same or different diagrams. FSYSD will control what connects to what when a pipe is cut in a diagram.
- It will be possible to export and import symbols and diagrams by means of XML files.
Specific working environments
They are managed by means of libraries with unlimited number of levels, assigning a name, a description and a preconfigured type: symbol, drawing format (box) or material list. They consist on 2D graphical entities, to which they are added an unlimited number of connection points with their identification and own flow direction.
It is foreseen the insertion of symbols as part of other symbols, the linear copy of 2D graphical entities and, in general, the use of the typical commands for 2D edition.
The symbols intended for material lists, with SQL instructions embedded, generate on their execution two different types of lists: those for the exhaustive enumeration of the invoked entities (like complete list of valves with all their attributes) and those for the account of the invoked entities, grouping by predefined concepts (like total number of a specific type of valves and nominal diameter).
The hierarchical libraries structure allows locking at any given level, either a complete library or a single symbol, to prevent concurrency during its edition.
Regarding the graphic drafting environment, the use of a dynamic grid of reference points, the zoom operated by the mouse wheel and the cursor positioning coordinates, always visible, allow a fast and accurate drafting of the geometry. Symbols for diagrams edition window
Generated from the ship systems, previously defined by means of the FDEFIN module, they consist on an undetermined number of separated sheets that display the functional arrangement of the equipment and the fittings, connected each other by means of pipelines.
With an exhaustive control of the technical characteristics of pipes and fittings, the material specifications guarantee that the technological attributes are appropriate for the purpose of each line. When needed, pipes and fittings may be completed with user defined attributes.
The equipment addition is intuitive, allowing the incorporation of both own equipment already assigned to the system and coming from other systems (foreign equipment). It is even possible the option to generate new equipment elements directly from the components (equipment catalog), applying some rules to generate the identification. A simple drag and drop of the component from the list to the graphic area, and the new element is generated and placed in one go.
The FROM and TO symbols, used to identify the pipes connecting diagrams each other, manage to establish a true logical connection. This allows controlling, for instance, that both diagram points for connection have the same fluid type and material specification.
The relationship between the diagram and the further 3D model has been incremented significantly, so the link between a line in the diagram and a pipe line segment from the 3D model implies that both are locked for any further change in their attributes (diameter, material specification, fluid or insulation). The only way to change any of them is by means of the previous break of the link between both entities.
It has been improved the insertion of reducers, by breaking the insertion line into two parts and updating the diameter of the involved pipe and the previously inserted fittings. Pipe and Instrumentation diagram (P&ID) edition window
With a very similar behavior than the pipe diagrams, the electric diagrams working mode allow to place electric equipment and fittings in a very intuitive way, and lay down the cables that connect each other in a fast and precise manner. Similarly than in the previous application (EPOWER), the cable connections go to the conductor wiring into the different terminal boards of the equipment and fittings.
The right area from the screen keeps from the pipe diagrams identical tabs for the Equipment (with the addition of the electrical fittings), Entity Properties, Symbols and Geometry, being the Cables the very specific one for the electric diagrams.
Differently than for the pipe diagrams, the electric diagrams environment allows configuring the diagrams in a tree structure, starting in the system list. This is, possible to organize different levels of folders to group diagrams. Single wire diagram edition window
In the end, it is a module that dramatically enhances the ease of use, which increments the functionality of the diagrams and its reutilization for the 3D model, and that conveys into a single application three old interface modules. This another relevant step forward for FORAN System, ahead of the CAD/CAM technology.
Image on top: Symbols for diagrams edition window