FORAN is a system used in the design and construction of vessels and marine structures, developed by SENER with 50 years and currently licensed at more than 150 shipyards and design offices in 40 countries.
It is the only product of its kind on the market, as it encompasses every aspect of design in a fully integrated manner and because it is used at every stage of the design and production of a vessel.
FORAN capitalizes on SENER’s engineering and ship design know-how, as SENER is the only company that offers services of this kind and that has also developed a marine design system.
- Suitable from concept design to production.
- It is an integrated, robust and multidisciplinary system.
- It is easy to install, learn and use.
- It allows for fast, advanced modeling.
- It provides high performance, scalability and data integrity.
- It is open to other systems and applications.
- It has concurrent and distributed engineering.
- It focuses on automation.
Industries and applications
FORAN is a ship design CAD/CAM system that, because of its high-level features, adaptability and customization, can be used to design and build any type of ship or marine structure. Its wide-ranging functionality meets the needs of all the various industries in the marine sector.
The main industries that the FORAN System focuses on are:
Merchant, Passenger, Ro-ro
FORAN has been successfully used to design and produce ro-ros, passenger ships, bulkcarriers, chemical tankers, container ships, cement carriers, oil tankers, etc.
FORAN is a system that meets the most exacting requirements of military naval construction and is used by some of the world’s largest military shipyards.
Both for surface vessels and submarines, FORAN is a unique product that offers the following features:
- It gives control over configuration.
- It can analyze different design options (prototypes).
- It has an open interface with Product Lifecycle Management (PLM) tools.
- It has advanced form definition capabilities.
- It manages materials and special standards and allows criteria to be customized.
- It has extreme precision.
FORAN has been successfully used to design and produce tugs and workboats, hotel boats, trawlers, fish transport boats, oceanographic vessels, etc. Thanks to its great versatility, it can adapt to the needs of any ship, regardless of its complexity.
FORAN is widely used in the offshore industry, for floating, anchored and fixed platforms as well as for staff transportation boats, anchor vessels, supply ships, rescue boats, firefighting boats, anti-pollution vessels, etc.
Some of the advantages that FORAN brings to the offshore industry are:
It incorporates industry standards for structure and outfitting and can incorporate special materials.
It incorporates special regulations.
It manages complex and innovative forms and structures.
It interfaces with other CAD systems.
It permits outfitting and accommodation design.
The modularization of the FORAN System and its ability to undertake collaborative engineering means that it can be used effectively by other design offices and shipyards of any kind, including ship repair facilities. From small design offices involved in smaller scale projects or that collaborate on larger projects through large corporations that build complex vessels with numerous subcontractors for every area.
Its 3D model visualization capabilities, virtual reality, interface with product model and lifecycle management systems, and the interface with FEM tools, all make FORAN an extremely useful tool for other agents in the shipbuilding industry such as ship owners, operators, authorities, equipment suppliers and classification societies.
FORAN is a CAD/CAM/CAE system for marine design. It is multidisciplinary and fully integrated and can be used at every phase of the ship design and production process and in every discipline as it stores information in a single database.
From the very early stages, FORAN allows the main volumes and spaces of the ship to be adjusted and provides an agile solution for defining the ship’s general layout. FORAN includes a solution that generates any kind of hull form or changes it on the basis of an external form file. FORAN also allows the ship naval architecture calculations that are needed for the initial phases of the project to be made. From this phase, the general layout plan is obtained, along with information for the contractual phase.
FORAN is a unique tool as it can rapidly generate a 3D model of the ship in the early phases of design. Because of this, the same tool is used from the very start of the project, which saves both time and money. With FORAN it is possible to define the ship’s structure with only the primary elements, quickly and intuitively, and place the main pieces of equipment in their final or their approximate position. From a very early phase, materials can be ordered, estimates of actual weights can be made, etc.
FORAN makes it possible to define the detail model of the ship, in every discipline. Whether one starts with the early model created on FORAN in 3D or whether one starts the model from scratch in this phase, FORAN offers the user fast and flexible, automatic and intuitive tools to define every element of the structure, the positioning of machinery and equipment, HVAC, supports, auxiliary structures, electrical design, electronics, etc.
Manufacturing and assembly
With FORAN it is possible to use the ship’s model to extract all the information needed for manufacturing and assembly, in a way that is totally adapted to the production methods of each shipyard.
During ship operation, FORAN is still an important resource for carrying out conversions, repairs, etc.
Advantages of FORAN
- Flexible: It is supremely adaptable, providing shipyards of any size and type with customized solutions to design and produce all kinds of vessel. Its modular structure allows it to be implemented flexibly and gradually.
- Ideal for modeling, drawing and producing reports: It features full 2D drafting functionality and unique 3D model capabilities, with robust part modeling, 2D-3D transparency, assembly management, simulations and product information management, all in a single database of the complete ship model.
- Easy to use: Thanks to the simplicity of its graphic interface and its specific focus on shipbuilding, FORAN is a system that designers can learn, implement and use easily with minimum support.
- Reliable: It generates accurate and reliable shop-floor ready information for the manufacture and assembly of individual structures or for outfitting elements.
- Efficient: The cost of materials and labor can be significantly reduced, while production quality is enhanced, thanks to FORAN’s integration of every discipline and design phase and because it automatically generates customized shop-floor information.
- Collaborative engineering: It allows collaborative engineering to take place between shipyards, engineering firms and subcontractors, either in a concurrent or a distributed environment. In this way, it rules out the risk of incompatibility and simplifies design team coordination.
- Open: The data exchange with other technical and management systems is simple, thanks to the open structure of the FORAN data base and the system architecture, which uses standard or customized interfaces.
- Innovative: It provides rapid responses to new user requirements thanks to its solid and powerful development platform, in a context of permanent evaluation of technological innovations both in shipbuilding and in hardware and software.
FORAN’s capabilities are based on advanced information technology relating to data management, interactive 3D visualization, surface and solid modeling, as well as on specific ship-building technology.
The system architecture combines an in-house modeling and visualization kernel which is finely-tuned to meet the needs of the shipping industry with high performance basic software components that give the different modules a shared look and feel, allow integrated development and make it easy to internationalize.
The data management system is built on Oracle®, which gives it scalability, reliability and makes it efficient to administer. A robust drafting kernel allows the integration of 2D plans with 3D models and is fully compatible with current industry standards.
FORAN was the first marine CAD system on the Microsoft Windows® platform and it continues to offer feature enhancements so that ship designers can capitalize on the growing processing capabilities of modern computers.
FORAN supports the broadest range of collaborative engineering environments, such as wide area networks (WAN), through terminal servers and database replication.
As an integral part of a company’s IT infrastructure, FORAN makes it possible to share engineering information with PLM, ERP and MRP systems, FEM tools and other specific CAE applications. FORAN can exchange data in multiple formats, such as DWG, DXF, IGES, STEP, VDA, VRML and XML.
FORAN incorporates many advanced CIM features to optimize manufacturing and these can be customized for any production equipment. They include plate marking and cutting; plate bending by roll or line-heating; profile marking, cutting and bending; welding robots; panel lines; pin or plate jigs for curved panels; grinding; painting; dimensional control and pipe cutting and bending.
Windows® is a registered trademark of the Microsoft Corporation.
Oracle® is a registered trademark of the Oracle Corporation.
Related content with FORAN
SENER has signed a contract with the owner Rimorchiatori Riuniti Panfido & C.s.r.l for delivering the basic engineering and technical assistance in the construction of a liquefied natural gas (LNG) SBBT unit, which will operate in Italy and the Adriatic.... [+]
The President of SENER, Jorge Sendagorta, has been awarded the Honorary Member's medal, which is granted by the Spanish Institute of Engineering (Instituto de Ingeniería de España, IIE). This institution decided to give the distinction to Jorge Sendagorta after he was nominated by the Spanish Association of Naval and Ocean Engineers, in recognition of his professional career. According to the institution: “It's a prize to the engineer, but undoubtedly also to the engineering carried out at SENER, which is spearheading Spanish engineering around the world and in the most innovative sectors."... [+]